Tuesday, October 23, 2007

More magical days have passed- the girls are 3.5 weeks old now and we are starting to notice changes from when they were first born. Adeline seems to trust us more to change her diaper (no more shrieking) and Meredith seems to have taken a clue from her sister that sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease (she really yells now when startled awake). Both girls seem to be growing like crazy, they're with round bellies, square cheeks and double chins. In a week, they'll have their 1-month doctor's appointment.

We've settled into a nice routine, occasionally upset by someone who really doesn't want to sleep (when we do!), but for the most part it is working pretty well. I'm feeling pretty calm and well-adjusted, which I owe completely to Dave (who goes to work all day, then comes home to the housework, taking care of the girls and getting up at night to help with the feedings) and my parents (who still come for 4+ hours a day to help me). My sister and other friends and neighbors who keep bringing us food have also made it easy on us. And we've just started to realize that so far the girls have been pretty easy. Maybe that will change, but we feel lucky that we've had this time to start the learning process of parenting. I hear that it never ends!

On Sunday night, Kara & Eric's daughter, Ella, came to visit her cousins. She is 8 months old now and seems practically a teenager compared to our little babies. Here she is with my mom:


There are just so many moments when I can't stand how cute they are. I'm trying to appreciate every moment; it is easy for me to start thinking ahead to how nice it will be when they are sleeping through the night, a little more proficient at breast feeding, etc. but I realize that, alone with those milestones that will make my life easier, we will lose the tininess of the newborn stage and the complete satisfaction they get by simply eating, sleeping and staring into our eyes.

Here's some snapshots from the last few days.

Mae and Adi, "playing" together after tummy time:

Meredith practicing her fencing pose:
Daddy with both girls (Mae in yellow, Adi in pink):
Adi curled up against me after a feeding. So far, both girls really like to be held, which is very rewarding.
Daddy with Adi after a "baby bidet" diaper change & wash:

No comments: