Friday, March 20, 2009

Motor mouths

Purple

Mae has a favorite color: 'poo-puh'. We have one pair of purple socks; every time we put socks on her, she requests the purple ones. Unfortunately we have to wash them occasionally, which she is accepting as a reasonable excuse, but I learned that putting them on Adi is *not* considered acceptable.

Bl-bl-bl-bl-bl-bl-bl

Adi's love of sounds continues: now she makes a little 'O' of her lips and slides her pointed tongue back and forth over the hole to make noise. One night we could hear her doing it for 10 minutes after she went to bed.

Spinning wheels

Mae is very enthusiastic about vocabulary: while looking out the window she'll list the things she sees. Tree, truck, car, Bob (a neighbor), dog... One night when we were putting her to bed she was pointing all around the room-- crib, Dada, Momma, Adi, crib, Annie (her stuffed animal), pa-ja (pajamas), coke (couch)-- and just seemed unable to relax. It reminded me of times when my head is spinning with thoughts and I just can't seem to stop it. Luckily she seemed to relax when we put her down and she lost her audience.


Echo

Adi is going through a phase of repeating the last word of every sentence. The latest of these is when I ask her if she wants to do something herself (like washing her face after eating) of if I should do it, to which she replies: "do-ee."

Stories

Out in the back yard on a sunny day, I uncovered a brick bug. I was excited for the girls to see their first real, live bug so we all looked at it a while before it jumped off of my hand and disappeared into the grass. Later that afternoon, Mae started saying "bzzz," which is their word for bug (even butterflies) and then Adi said "bye bye." It was the first time I've been aware of that they remembered something (probably they've just gained the capacity to communicate it to me!)

Then, after spending a day with my parents, I asked them what they'd done. Mae said "Ga-ga" and I asked what else they'd done; Adi said "slide." Who did they slide with? "Pa-pa!" (grandpa).

1 comment:

ehouse said...

they are SO adorable! we have to get together again sometime!